Heavy Rain and High Winds Expected for Caldwell County
LENOIR, NC (September 29, 2022) — Caldwell County Emergency Services asks all Caldwell County citizens to prepare for heavy rain and high winds beginning on Friday.
First responders are preparing for the storm and asking citizens to remember the following:
- NEVER drive around road barriers or through flooded roadways. It takes only two feet of water to carry away a vehicle, including pickups and SUVs. When walking, do not attempt to cross-flowing streams. It takes only six inches of rushing water to knock an adult off his feet.
- Do not call 911 unless it is a life-threatening emergency. Do not call 911 for road conditions, weather forecasts, or to report power outages. During significant weather events, 911 Telecommunications Operators are busy with medical and safety emergencies and should not be taking other types of calls.
- Prepare for the potential of power outages. In the event of a power outage, contact your power company.
- Duke Energy 1-800-POWERON (769-3766), www.duke-energy.com/outages, or text OUT to 57801
- Blue Ridge Energy 1-800-448-2383
- Granite Falls Electric 828-396-3131
- Rutherford Electric 1-800-228-9756 or 828-584-1410
- Have at least 72 hours of food and water for each member of the household. Be sure to have your medication, including any home medical needs, such as oxygen.
- Have cell phones fully charged and extra, fully charged batteries for cell phones, if possible.
- Stay tuned to your trusted media sources.
Support the Caldwell Journal for as little as $1 a month through Patreon. Thank you!