LENOIR, NC (March 19, 2017)…Who we are: Tuttle is a 339 acre forest located in the foothills between Lenoir and Morganton. We have 3 full time rangers dedicated to education of school groups and maintenance of the forest. Our forest is composed of over 20 different timber stands, several wildlife food plots, and over 10 miles of well-marked hiking trails.
What we offer to teachers:
1) We have over 20 classes that we can teach, which are all correlated to the common core standards.
Suggested PreK – 1st classes:
Out of Place
Old Lingle School
True Smokey Bear
Suggested 2nd – 5th classes:
Forest Tree Relay
Predator & Prey
Other Classes offered:
New Forest For Wildlife
Lower Level Plants
What We Get From Trees
Meet Your Tree
2) We also offer teacher workshops, such as our Investigating Your Environment(IYE) in the summer at our training facility in Crossnore, NC, and Project Learning Tree(PLT) at Tuttle this summer.
3) Best part…it’s all FREE!!!
What we offer to the children and their families:
1) We have a Kids Fish for Fun day at Tuttle on May 13th, for children under 12 years old accompanied by chaperone. Must sign up ahead of time at Tuttle.
2) We have a youth deer hunt at Tuttle in early December, for youth 12-15 years old accompanied by chaperone. Must register for permit with the NC Wildlife Commission.
3) We have 10 open picnic sites and 1 covered shelter(reservation only) available free of charge, over 10 miles of hiking trails, and multiple self-guided exhibits throughout the forest.
How to contact us: Check out our website at www.ncesf.org/tuttle.html.
For more info or to schedule a class or reserve picnic shelter call us at (828)757-5608.
Tuttle Educational State Forest
3420 Playmore Beach Road
Lenoir, NC 28645