NCDOT Awards 2018 Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Grants…Including Hudson
RALEIGH, NC (March 21, 2018)…Nine municipalities and one county from across the state will receive assistance with bicycle and pedestrian planning, thanks to grants awarded this month by the N.C. Department of Transportation.
Recipients were selected from a pool of 23 applications by an awards committee comprised of representatives from regional planning organizations and councils of government, local governments, health professionals and NCDOT staff from multiple units.
This year’s recipients include:
• Archer Lodge (joint bicycle/pedestrian plan)
• Beaufort County (bicycle plan)
• Carrboro (bicycle plan)
• Elkin (bicycle/pedestrian plan)
• Fayetteville (bicycle plan)
• Hudson (bicycle/pedestrian plan)
• Lowell (bicycle/pedestrian plan)
• Pittsboro (joint bicycle/pedestrian plan)
• Warrenton (joint bicycle/pedestrian plan)
• Wilson (pedestrian plan)
Plans funded are not for one specific project, but represent a comprehensive strategy for expanding bicycle and pedestrian opportunities within a given municipality. These plans address facilities, programs, services and regulations that encourage safe walking and bicycling. Now in its fifteenth year, the Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Grant program has awarded over $5 million for 193 community plans.