Hickory MSA climbs ranks in new report
HICKORY, NC (July 30, 2018) — Area Development recently released its 2018 Leading Metro Locations report, ranking 394 metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) by a number of different criteria. The Hickory MSA climbed the ranks in several notable measures over the last several years.
- Overall, Hickory MSA ranked 109th out of 394 metros, rising from 346th in 2014. Only two U.S. metro areas have improved more during the same period (Albany, GA and Niles-Benton, Michigan).
- Hickory MSA ranked 20th in terms of 5-year unemployment rate change, with only 19 places in the country having had a bigger positive swing in unemployment.
- Hickory MSA ranked 54th in overall economic strength for 2018, ahead of places like Jacksonville, Florida (55), Provo (64), Dallas (67), or even Charlotte (76).
- Hickory MSA ranked 41st in YOY growth, ahead of Seattle (42), Boston (68) and Chattanooga (91).
- Hickory MSA ranked 37th in 5-year growth, ahead of Nashville (53), Knoxville (201) or San Antonio (207).
Scott Millar, President of the Catawba County Economic Development Corporation in Hickory, said, “This information doesn’t come as a surprise to me, as the economic activity and opportunities that we are seeing as a result of the business confidence, married with the opportunities arising from the City Walk, Riverwalk, and other initiatives, are all coming fast and furious. I see many good things happening in all economic sectors in the Hickory MSA.”
Area Development is a leading executive magazine published quarterly, which covers site selection and relocation, along with valuable information pertinent to the factors, key issues, and criteria that affect a successful decision.
To review the full 2018 Leading Metro Locations report, please visit www.areadevelopment.com/Leading-Locations/Q2-2018/leading-metro-locations-full-results-2018.shtml.