Caldwell Billboard Be Aware Don’t Share Web Banner

Early morning fire consumes home in Granite Falls

UPDATED…GRANITE FALLS (January 31, 2019) — The “Good Samaritan” that saw the house on fire and stopped to make sure no one was in danger is Tristan Huggins of Hudson.

The driver of the vehicle that sped past fire trucks and firefighters in a reckless manner was charged with a DWI by the North Carolina Highway Patrol according to the accident report. Three 5″ fire hoses were damaged by the driver which will cost the Granite Falls Fire Department approximately $4800 to replace (also according to the accident report).


UPDATED…GRANITE FALLS (January 28, 2019) — The cause of this fire was determined to be caused by a space heater next to a Christmas tree. Thankfully, smoke alarms alerted the family to the fire. This is a great reminder to make sure you have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, all with new batteries…they will save your life.

If you would like to donate clothing to the family, here are their sizes:

Men’s – small shirt. Small pant size 30 waist.  Shoe size 8.
Ladies – small/xsmall shirt/pant.  Shoe size 6.
Child (girl) – 6/7 toddler. Shoe size 11/12.

Child (boy) – 5 toddler. Shoe size 10.
Child (girl) – 3 toddler. Shoe size 8.

You can drop donations off at the Sawmills Fire Department through this Saturday, January 2, 2019…

Sawmills Volunteer Fire & Rescue Department
4068 US HWY 321-A
Granite Falls, NC 28630
Phone: (828) 396-1567
Email: sawmillsfire@sawmillsfire.com
www.facebook.com/sawmills.fire

Thank You!!!


GRANITE FALLS, NC (January 27, 2019) — An early morning fire broke out at a home on Dudley Shoals Road in Granite Falls near Mutt Marshall Lane at approximately 2:15am on Sunday, January 27, 2019. The fire appeared to start in the front right of the home and then continued to spread very quickly.

01-27-2019 Structure Fire on Dudley Shoals Road

Thankfully a good Samaritan was passing by at the time and stopped to offer assistance with helping the family escape from the burning structure without injury.

Several volunteer firefighters arrived at the scene to battle the fire. Grace Chapel Fire Department, Granite Falls Fire Department and Sawmills Fire-Rescue Department all responded to this fire that was in the Sawmills Fire District. The Caldwell County Fire Marshalls Office, Caldwell County EMS, American Red Cross and Blue Ridge Energy also responded.

The firefighters dealt with temperatures of approximately 20 degrees during the fire along with ice forming on the road surface.

To the surprise and anguish of firefighters during the fire, a vehicle traveling towards Granite Falls on Dudley Shoals Road sped past the fire trucks striking the large fire hose on the road. The vehicle even appeared to become airborne after striking the fire hose. Thankfully no firefighters were injured, and no fire trucks were damaged as a result. “This was a close call…” Both the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office and the North Carolina Highway Patrol were then called to the scene and the motorist was later taken into custody.

It appears that the family has lost everything in their home including their dog. If you would like to make a donation to help this family, you can help by contacting the American Red Cross Blue Ridge Piedmont Chapter in Hickory at 828-322-4151 or at scott.loudermelt@redcross.org.

More photos…